Clerk of Superior Court
Decatur County   Bainbridge, Georgia
Cecilia Willis
    Cecilia Willis


Amber Alert

Military Discharge Records

Recording your DD214 in your local Clerk’s Office assures that a copy will be available for your or your family in the event your original is lost or destroyed. Veterans are always encouraged to file in their county of residence. Once recorded, should the veteran move, the DD214 should be recorded in the veteran’s new county of residence. Those people who travel frequently are encouraged to file their DD214 in multiple locations. We will gladly record your DD214 and/or Discharge Papers at no charge to you. Veterans will always be provided certified copies at no expense and, if necessary, the same service will be afforded to their next of kin.

Military Discharge Records are those documents issued upon the discharge of members of the armed services from military service. Records eligible for recording are the Discharge Certificate, copy 4 of the DD Form 214, any copy of DD Form 214 with a raised seal, or the United States National Archives Form 10308. OCGA 15-6-72(a) There is no fee for recording Military Discharge Records. OCGA 15-6-78(a).

Military Discharge Records are not subject to the open records act for a period of 50 years from the date of filing. Upon presentation of proper identification only the following persons shall have access to the records during the 50 year period: OCGA 15-6-72(c)

  1. The person who is the subject of the record;
  2. The spouse or next of kin of the person who is the subject of the record;
  3. A person named in an appropriate power of attorney executed by the person who is the subject of the record;
  4. The administrator, executor, guardian, or legal representative of the person who is the subject of the record; or
  5. An attorney for any person specified in subparagraphs (A) through (D) of this paragraph.

A fee shall not be charged for providing copies or certified copies of DD214’s to those persons authorized to receive such copies. OCGA 15-6-72(c)(2).

Military Discharge Records may be filed in the county of residence of the discharged military member. OCGA 15-6-72(a).

In order to be filed the record must be one or more of the following: OCGA 15-6-72(a)

  1. An original military discharge certificate.
  2. A copy 4 of DD Form 214 issued by the United States Government.
  3. Any copy of DD Form 214 with a raised seal issued by the United States national Personnel Records Center.
  4. A United States National Archives Form 13038.
Decatur County Clerk of Court
PO Box 336
Bainbridge, Ga 39818